The KinderGarden Chef Andrea

Sunday 27 April 2014

So exciting recipes are starting to roll in for my cook book!



Lia Her

Early Childhood Educator at Cefa Langley

I love my job as an early childhood educator because I enjoy working with young children.  I enjoy doing fun activities with them such as making crafts, singing songs and reading storybooks.  

Green papaya salad is refreshing and exotic!  It is a very special recipe for me because my mother use to make it for my siblings and I, and we absolutely love it!  My mother taught me how to make it when I was a young child and so I always have the recipe in mind.

Green  Papaya Salad
Ingredients
2 cups shredded fresh green papaya, use a Pro-Slice Thai peeler or Miracle Knife.
3 medium Roman tomatoes, or use a few more if you can find cherry tomatoes
A handful of fresh string beans cut into 1 inch pieces
1-2 fresh Thai chilies, remove stems (chilies are optional, as they are very spicy)
3-4 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons palm sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Method
Peel fresh green papaya, rinse the white milk off, pat dry, then shred the whole papaya. Sprinkle with a bit of salt then rinse it off and drain. Keep 2 cups shredded papaya out, and put the rest in a sealed container for later use. Slice tomatoes thinly. In a clay mortar & pestle, coarsely pound the fresh Thai chilies (optional) and garlic. Add string beans and sliced tomato, and pound it lightly (do not over-crush). Add fish sauce, palm sugar and lime juice. Add these items spoon-by-spoon, and taste as you go. If you want to add peanuts, add now and lightly pound (optional). Add shredded papaya and pound together until mixed well. Serve on a dish with fresh cabbage and string beans on the side. Enjoy!

Thank you Lia for sharing this with me! You are such a wonderful teacher, mother and person!! I think so much of you and am so happy to have you for a friend!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment