The KinderGarden Chef Andrea

Monday 21 April 2014

Date Squares with a little story about someone very special to me!!


 
                                                       recipe image
My late friend Peter Bergen

I once new this kind old man that used to come into the cafe I worked for a few years back. Peter was an elderly man who walked with such a spring in his step! You would have never known he was 90 years old with the energy he had and the enthusiasm and zest for  life. Peter used to come in and order a date bar, his favorite treat! I loved seeing him every time he came in, he brightened my day! We became good friends and started visiting for coffee. He had such a gift for playing the Hawaiian steel guitar. His joy for playing music was so inspiring!! I admired Peter for how he had such a passion and he used it to bless others doing what he loved! He also showed his love for Jesus by example, he had such a kind way about him and such a light  in his eyes. I am blessed to have known him! I just wanted to share this story with this recipe because I thought of him and every time I do my heart wells up with joy! I hope this story and recipes fills your heart with joy and your tummy with some really tasty date bars.
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened
 
3/4 pound pitted dates, diced
1 cup water
1/3 cup packed coconut sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

In a large bowl, combine oats, flour, salt, 1 cup coconut  sugar, and baking soda. Mix in the butter until crumbly. Press half of the mixture into the bottom of a 9 inch square baking pan.

In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the dates, water, and 1/3 cup coconut  sugar. Bring to a boil, and cook until thickened. Stir in lemon juice, and remove from heat. Spread the filling over the base, and pat the remaining crumb mixture on top.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in preheated oven, or until top is lightly toasted. Cool before cutting into squares.    


No comments:

Post a Comment