The KinderGarden Chef Andrea

Sunday 26 October 2014

Sunday School Cooking Making Yummy Salad and Dressing



Today making salad with the little ones was pretty cute!!

As they walk in you can see they are trying to figure it out what we are going to make together. When  I told them we were going to be making salad and dressing some of them got excited, maybe that's because I said it in a really exciting voice, and some didn't buy it lol. There is always one in the group who doesn't really like anything and they don't hold back on telling you that lol. Most of the children were actually really happy tearing their lettuce picking out their favorite vegetables and  preparing the dressing. The little comments are so sweet! I love hearing of all the vegetables they like and don't like, I always say just try it once and if you don't like it it's okay we don't all like the same things and it's good not to push them to like something if they really don't. I started making the dressing and asked them all where honey comes from they all said all at once from bees with excitement! I asked them if they wanted to try the honey, they all did so on each little finger I dotted a little honey and asked them what they thought. The children all replied "That's yummy" Then I wanted them to try sour too from the lemon so they tried the lemon and with funny faces they said "That's so sour." Then they tried the sea salt, they seemed to all really like the salt lol. I showed them where the pumpkin seeds came from with a little pumpkin. We used the seeds to sprinkle on top of the salad, they really liked that! Each child then poured some olive oil into the jar and the rest of our ingredients to make our dressing. I blended it all up and poured over their cute little salad plates for them to try. The kids all clapped and said yay!! I love seeing kids start off saying no to eating vegetables and at the end smiling and enjoying their salads and healthy creations. To me it's not what you make with kids that matters as much as how much fun you make it. I want children to have good memories around vegetables not ones of being pressured to eat something they don't like. At the end of the day if they make it, trust me they will probably like it even if it is a salad and not chocolate cookies. The message on the bottom of the recipe is  to tie in with the honey from the dressing from one my favorite verses because it is so true.
Gods word is so full and so satisfying like honey.
Our kind pure words towards others are as well sweeter then honey when said from the heart!


"How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter then honey to my mouth!"
Psalm 119:103










Honey Dijon Dressing
1/4 cup of dijon mustard
1/2 cup of honey
1/3 cup cider vinegar
2/3 cup olive oil
1 tbsp of fresh chopped parsley
1 tsp of salt
1 tsp of pepper
1 tsp of minced garlic
Blend with a hand held blender and store in a mason jar

Salad
1 bunch of kale chopped
1 bunch of spinach leaves
1/2 a cucumber diced small
1/4 cup of pumpkin seeds
1 carrot grated
1/4 cup of grated purple cabbage
1 cup of diced cherry tomatoes 

Toss altogether and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment