The KinderGarden Chef Andrea

Thursday 5 February 2015

Coconut Mango Kale Smoothies


Cooking with the children at the ARC was lots of fun!! I love teaching the children about all the healthy benefits of each ingredient. In the beginning of the class I will talk about each item and how good it is for their bodies. Kale being very high in vitamin A and Coconut water being very hydrating. Mangoes having lots of vitamin C and bananas having lots of potassium. The children who can remember all the benefits win a prize. It is a fun way for me to be able to teach them and it sure makes it easy to get their attention when I mention a price. This week's price was a smoothie cup. I feel very blessed to be able to share my passion with children who genuinely want to learn how to cook healthy foods. We chopped up bananas teared our kale into small pieces and cracked open a real coconut together. The kids had fun with the coconut, seeing the flesh of the coconut meat and trying it was a cool experience for them. I love seeing the kids have fun blending their own smoothies and feeling the gratification of knowing they did it all by themselves. Something I like to do with the kids is turn some fun music on while we wait for our food to be ready to have a dance party. My niece's favorite thing to do is dance with me to some fun music so I tried to incorporate that into my cooking classes. The kids love our dancing together. I have really seen in my life how music and food can really bond people together in a very fun and special way. By the end of the class the children were able to taste and enjoy their very own smoothie in the cup they decorated with a recipe to take home and make for themselves and their families. Everybody got a sticker for remembering what electrolytes mean.  I explained how when you are really thirsty and dehydrated to go for coconut water to replenish your body. When  you become dehydrated use coconut water because of it's high levels of electrolytes.





















Recipe

Banana Mango coconut water  kale
smoothie
Coconut water has lots of electrolytes
To keep your body hydrated and balanced
Mangoes have lots of Vitamin C
Vitamin C helps to protect your body from getting sick
Bananas have lots of potassium
Potassium is very good for your heart function
Kale has lots of vitamin A to help your body maintain healthy bones and teeth.
In a blender add 1 banana 1 cup of kale 1 cup of coconut water and 1 cup of  diced frozen mango.
Blend in a blender with 1 tbsp of vanilla and 1 tsp of honey for a yummy healthy tropical smoothie that will nourish your body and give you lots of energy.
Can you remember what ingredient has what health benefit?
Home work
What is your favorite fruit to add to your smoothies and what is the health benefit?
Recipe by Chef Andrea Hoblak the kinderGarden Chef.
604-751-5684 andreahobalk@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment