The KinderGarden Chef Andrea

Monday 13 April 2015

Making Soup with the youth at my Church

I was blessed to be able to come and teach a great group of girls from the youth group at Central Heights Church. We made soup together to be fed to a group of 50 people. Thankfully I have experience in cooking for a large group. The girls were so much fun to cook with!! I gave each girl a job to create the perfect garden curry lentil soup.

We had girls peeling and chopping carrots
the poor girls who had the job of chopping onions were in tears they were tough about it though.
It was really cool seeing them all work together to make this soup. We had a blast dancing to music as well as we cooked! My two favorite things to do is cook and dance so I like to combine them as much as possible. It turns out I think lots of people like to cook and dance. Cooking should be fun! Next time you are in the kitchen with your kids crank the music up and have a dance party I promise you will be creating a memory that will be cherished. I truly enjoyed cooking with these sweet girls! I hope we can do some more cooking together perhaps when my garden at church has produced some fresh produce we can get cooking again. I think we decided on smoothies next can't wait!! I was very proud of these girls the soup turned out awesome!! I am thankful to God for special opportunities like this one!































Red Lentil Curry soup Garden Soup








Ingredients:
1 cup red lentils
4 cups water or vegetable stock
1 tbsp of curry powder
1 onion 
1/2 a head of purple cabbage chopped 
2 potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Directions:
In a pot heat 2 tbsp of vegetable oil, saute onion, celery, carrot, cabbage, diced potatoes, cabbage with salt pepper and curry powder for about 10 minutes. Add vegetable stock and lentils, place lid on and simmer for about 1 hour until lentils are soft season to taste and enjoy











Health Tip,
Lentils are an excellent source of molybdenum and folate. They are a very good source of dietary fiber and manganese and a good source of iron, protein, phosphorus, copper, thiamin and potassium.

No comments:

Post a Comment